Here's the lowdown on where I'll be this month; hope to see you at one or more!
1. Friday/Saturday, May 3/4: I'll be playing horns and singing at the GRAND HOTEL, Mackinac Island, for their annual 'Titanic Weekend,' which includes a full re-enactment of the last night on the Titanic. Did it last year, and it's a hoot, for any of you who are looking for something to do!
2. Sunday, May 5: I'll be back in the Metro area, just in time to perform with the 'Carl Cafagna & Friends Jazz Trio' from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., at the Mount Clemens Rec Bowl, 40 Crocker Blvd., Mt. Clemens MI. This monthly series of concerts is organized by the Greater Detroit Jazz Society, a wonderful local group. My Trio on the 5th will feature GARY ALLEN on guitar, SHANNON WADE on bass, and ME on saxes, clarinet, voice and snare drum with brushes (seriously!); hope to see you there! For more info., please call (586) 468-7746
3. Wednesday, May 8: I'll be playing horns and singing with the 'Carl Cafagna & Friends Jazz Trio', 6:00 - 9:00 p.m., at O'Conners Public House, 324 Main St. (Rochester Rd.), ROCHESTER MI. We provide the music for a monthly 'Classic Cocktail Happy Hour'. Great drinks at great prices, and our music is mostly standards from the Prohibition Era, and the Swing Era. The Trio will feature SCOTT GWINNELL on piano, JORDAN SCHUG on bass and ME on saxes/clarinet/voice/snare drum with brushes. Please call (248) 608-2537 for more info.
4. Saturday, May 11: I'll have a Double-Header on this day, starting with 'Carl Cafagna & the North Star Saxophone Quartet' from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. at the Royal Oak Public Library, 222 E. 11-Mile Rd., Royal Oak MI, in a FREE Concert. We play ALL kinds of music, Bach, Handel, Debussy, Jazz, Ragtime, Folk songs, Pop, even TV Theme-songs (no kidding!), all in the same concert! This is the only Metro area ensemble which offers this type of musical variety. Features JAMES HUGHES, alto sax, LEN TEMELINI, tenor, SHANNON FORD, baritone and ME, soprano sax. Please call (248) 246-3700 for more info.
5. Saturday, May 11: The second leg of the double-header. I'll be singing, and playing a little, with 'Metro Jazz Voices' from 7:00 - 8:45 p.m. at Community Presbyterian Church, 4301 Monroe Ave., WATERFORD MI. This, also is FREE. As many of you know, MJV is Detroit's best 4-part harmony vocal group, and one of the best such groups in the Midwest. Please call (248) 673-7805 for more info.
6. Wednesday, May 15: I'll be playing horns with the Meri Slaven Quartet at the Jazz Cafe at Music Hall, 350 Madison St., DETROIT MI, from 10:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. (after the conclusion of the Music Hall Theater show that evening). Please call (313) 887-8501 for more info.
7. Wednesday/Saturday, May 29/June 1: I'll be playing tenor sax with the Detroit Tenors (a group I co-lead with fellow tenor-man Steve Wood), at the Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe, 97 Kercheval Ave., Grosse Pointe Farms MI. Besides Steve and I, the 'TENORS' feature an A-list group of supporting musicians, including PAUL KELLER, SCOTT GWINNELL, SEAN DOBBINS and others. The Wednesday and Thursdays offer sets at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m.; Friday and Saturday offer the same, plus a 3rd set at 10:00 p.m. Reservations are a must, and are available by calling (313) 884-5180, or www.dirtydogjazz.com The food and ambiance of the Dirty Dog, in addition to our music, are East Coast quality.
Well, there it is folks, lots of opportunities, I hope to see you! Most of all, keep music in your hearts!