Well folks, it's Holiday time again, and that typically means a few chances to make music in public; so, hope you can make it to a few:
1. SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7, 8:00 - 8:45 p.m.: I'll be singing & playing horns with 'METRO JAZZ VOICES' at the DETROIT HISTORICAL MUSEUM, 5401 Woodward Ave., Detroit MI. This is part of the annual Noel Night celebrations in Midtown Detroit. It's FREE and ALL-AGES. Will feature some exciting Holiday-themed music as well as our usual American Songbook harmony.
2. SUNDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2:00 p.m.: I'll be conducting a Youth Jazz Ensemble in concert at the MAX FISHER CENTER (alongside Orchestra Hall), 3711 Woodward Ave., Detroit MI. My ensemble is featuring New Orleans-style Jazz which they learned by ear, the old-fashioned way. Come support the future of Detroit Jazz! Tickets are $15. and other Youth ensembles will be featured after my group is done. For more info. go to www.dso.org
3. WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 11, 7:30 - 10:30 p.m.: I'll be singing and playing horns with the 'CARL CAFAGNA & FRIENDS JAZZ TRIO' at O'CONNORS PUBLIC HOUSE, 324 S. Main St. (same as Rochester Rd.), Rochester MI (heart of downtown Rochester). We'll feature some Holiday tunes amidst favorites from the Prohibition Era (20's/30's jazz). 21+ Only. $5. cover and special 'Classic Cocktails' featured. Call (248) 608-2537 for more info. Don't miss the amazing Holiday lights of downtown Rochester on the way home!
4. SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.: I'll be singing and playing with 'METRO JAZZ VOICES' at SHIELD'S PIZZA, 25101 Telegraph Rd., Southfield MI. This is a monthly concert series, put on by the GREATER DETROIT JAZZ SOCIETY; there's a $10. admission charge which benefits the Society. It's ALL-AGES, and the food is great! Call (248) 356-4419 for more info.
5. CHRISTMAS EVE - TUESDAY, DECEMBER 24, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.: I'll be playing and singing with the 'BAYOU RIVER BAND' at BESTSELLERS BOOKS & COFFEE, 360 S. Jefferson St, Mason MI in what has become an annual "Christmas on Bourbon St." tradition. Holiday tunes mixed in with great New Orleans-style jazz with banjo, sousaphone and other traditional instruments. FREE and ALL-AGES; great deli-style lunch menu available. Come share some Holiday Cheer before the madness truly begins! Call (517) 676-6648 for more info.
Please come say hello if you make it to any of the above. Perhaps I'll see someof you at the Bevy of private functions at which I'm performing this month as well!
Most of all; keep music and the joy of family & friends in your hearts as we wind down 2013!